Wednesday, November 5, 2008

November 4, 2008

For almost 2 years I had been waiting for this very moment to see a lead to our future whether by Mr. Obama or by Mr. McCain. I was deeply concerned but at the same time I was indifferent, no because I couldn’t see the mightily difference that this moment would make, after all, it is not my country. I was traveling in China, my home country on the Election Day. I watched the every-two-minute updates of the result of this campaign on the Internet, and was so excited when I saw the announcement of Mr. Obama’s victory. My wife in New York and I called to each other and shared the excitement and the emotion. Suddenly, I felt pathetic because after all it is not my country, it wasn’t my vote.

However, watching Mr. Obama’s and Mr. McCain’s very moving speeches, looking back this election in the US and my own country, I had to tell myself, we, even as very small, ignored, powerless stakes, should believe in that for a better future, for the ideas we have, we change, and YES, we can!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think we can continue to say it is not our country any more, it is our city, it is where we live our lives now, no love realionship has to be stampled first by a marriage license, I do not hide any more that I care about what happened here, it is not a betryal of what we come from....

And yes, the world is happy for this moment, it belonged to all of us...I was in Time Square, what a precious memory in life...

Hai Zhang said...

Of course, we were by all means happy for the significant moment, and deeply felt being part of it. It is a land where I have spent quarter of my life, furthermore the most important quarter of my life insofar. However, it is not deniable that we are still only bearing the witness of the whole thing even with a very very close observation.

Nevertheless, it is not the point. The point is when we inevitable look at our disability to express ourselves, our disability to implement our faith, idea and belief into the suppose model political system, we are sharing these disabilities with our 1.5 billion fellow citizens, it is heartbreakingly sad.

However, November 4, 2008 is inspiring, and will be inspiring forever - we never should give up, even we are still and just the ignorable little stake.